Kimura Kan (木村和), better known by his stage name KAN, is a Japanese singer-songwriter under J.P ROOM.
Various other music acts under UP-FRONT GROUP have also covered his songs or have songs written by KAN.
He is also known to incorporate gags into his performances.
KAN was born in Fukuoka, Japan on September 24, 1962.
He began taking piano lesson when he entered elementary school in 1969, and also began singing hymns in December that year so he and his friend could got to their church Christmas party. He stopped taking classical piano lessons in 1976 and bought an electric guitar in January 1977.
In April 1981, he passed the entrance exam for Hosei University's Department of Social Sciences. When he arrived in Tokyo he bought a ticket for Billy Joel's concert. When he watched Billy Joel at Nippon Budokan a week later from his second floor seat, KAN was given the unshakable desire to become a musician.
In 1983, KAN was invited to join his high school senior's fusion band ANNETTE on the condition that he played his original songs.
In 1990, his song "Ai wa Katsu" from his fifth album Yakyuu Senshu ga Yume Datta. became the ending theme for Fuji TV's Izu Omoshiro TV which was hosted by the famous talento Takada Junji. The song was released as a single a couple months later and it became KAN's hit song, selling more than 2 million copies and charting on Oricon for 52 weeks.
In April 1999, KAN married violinist Waseda Sakurako who he had first met during his 1997 concert tour.
From 2002 to 2004, he moved to Paris, France in order to come close to his dream of "wanting to become a Frenchman." He also wanted to re-study classical piano, for which he attended École Normale de Musique de Paris.
On October 1, 2010, KAN transferred from UP-FRONT AGENCY to J.P ROOM.
After the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami on March 11, 2011, a charity unit called the Ganbarou Nippon Ai wa Katsu Singers was formed with 131 artists under the UP-FRONT WORKS label including KAN. They released a cover of his song "Ai wa Katsu" on April 9 to fundraise money for the victims.
- Real Name: Kimura Kan (木村和)
- Stage Name: KAN
- Birth Date: September 24, 1962
- Birthplace: Fukuoka, Fukuoka, Japan
- Blood Type: Unknown
- Western Zodiac: Libra
- Light Links Corporation Status:
- 1986: Member
- 1988: Merged with UP-FRONT AGENCY
- UP-FRONT GROUP Status:
- 1988: UP-FRONT AGENCY member
- 2010-10-01: J.P ROOM member
- Original Albums
- [1987.04.25] Terebi no Naka ni (テレビの中に)
- [1987.10.25] NO-NO-YESMAN
- [1988.06.25] GIRL TO LOVE
- [1989.06.21] HAPPY TITLE −Koufuku Senshuken− (HAPPY TITLE−幸福選手権−)
- [1990.07.25] Yakyuu Senshu ga Yume Datta. (野球選手が夢だった。)
- [1991.05.22] Yukkuri Furo ni Tsukaritai (ゆっくり風呂につかりたい)
- [1993.02.25] TOKYOMAN
- [1993.12.10] Yowai Otoko no Katai Ishi (弱い男の固い意志)
- [1994.11.26] Shinonome (東雲)
- [1998.03.05] TIGERSONGWRITER
- [1999.04.21] KREMLINMAN
- [2001.09.26] Gleam & Squeeze
- [2006.08.30] Haruka Naru Mawari Michi no Mukou de (遥かなるまわり道の向こうで)
- [2010.03.10] Kanchigai mo Hanahadashii Watashi no Jinsei (カンチガイもハナハダしい私の人生)
- [2016.02.03] 6x9=53
- Compilation Albums
- [1992.02.28] Mezurashii Jinsei (めずらしい人生)
- [1997.09.03] The Best Singles FIRST DECADE
- [2007.11.28] IDEAS the very best of KAN
- [2010.10.07] Songs Out of Bounds
- Live Albums
- [2008.11.19] LIVE Hikigatari Battari #7 ~Ultra Tabun~ Zen Kaijou Kara Zenkyoku Shuuroku (LIVE 弾き語りばったり #7 〜ウルトラタブン〜 全会場から全曲収録)
- [1987.04.25] Terebi no Naka ni (テレビの中に)
- [1987.10.25] BRACKET
- [1988.06.25] Daijoubu I'M ALL RIGHT (だいじょうぶI'M ALL RIGHT)
- [1988.11.25] Over You
- [1989.05.01] Tokyo Life (東京ライフ)
- [1989.09.01] REGRETS
- [1990.05.25] Kenzen Anzen Kouseinen (健全 安全 好青年)
- [1990.09.01] Ai wa Katsu (愛は勝つ)
- [1991.04.25] In the Name of Love (イン・ザ・ネイム・オブ・ラヴ)
- [1991.07.11] Propose (プロポーズ)
- [1992.01.29] Koppa Mijikai Koi (こっぱみじかい恋)
- [1992.03.25] Iezu no I LOVE YOU (言えずのI LOVE YOU)
- [1992.10.21] Shinu Made Kimi wo Hanasanai (死ぬまで君を離さない)
- [1993.01.21] Marui Oshiri ga Yurusenai (丸いお尻が許せない)
- [1993.04.21] Mayumi (まゆみ)
- [1993.11.17] Itsumo Majime ni Kimi no Koto (いつもまじめに君のこと)
- [1994.11.25] Sunshine of my heart
- [1995.01.25] Subete no Kanashimi ni Sayonara Suru Tame ni (すべての悲しみにさよならするために)
- [1995.05.10] Tokyo ni Koi (東京に来い)
- [1996.05.27] MAN
- [1996.08.26] Namida no Yuyake (涙の夕焼け)
- [1997.08.27] Songwriter
- [1997.12.25] Dora Dora Drive Daisakusen (ドラ・ドラ・ドライブ大作戦)
- [1998.02.05] Sankt Petersburg -Dajare Otoko no Kanashiki Hitoritabi- (サンクト･ペテルブルグ −ダジャレ男の悲しきひとり旅−)
- [1998.09.25] Eigo de Gomen (英語でゴメン)
- [1999.02.05] Happy Time Happy Song
- [1999.11.24] Kotoshi mo Koshite Futari de Christmas wo Iwau (今年もこうして二人でクリスマスを祝う)
- [2001.01.24] CLOSE TO ME
- [2001.09.26] Superfaker
- [2006.02.22] Curry Rice (カレーライス)
- [2006.11.29] Sekai de Ichiban Suki na Hito (世界でいちばん好きな人)
- [2010.02.10] Yokereba Issho ni (よければ一緒に)
- [2011.12.07] Listen to the Music
- [2015.02.25] Sakura Night Fever (桜ナイトフィーバー)
- Subete no Kanashimi ni Sayonara Suru Tame ni (Cover) (Lyrics, composition, arrangement)
- Suppin to Namida. (Composition, piano)
- 16sai no Koi Nante (Abe Natsumi and Yajima Maimi) (Lyrics, composition, arrangement)
- Watashi no Koibito na no ni (Abe Natsumi and Yajima Maimi) (Lyrics, composition, arrangement)
- Sakura Night Fever (Cover) (Lyrics, composition)
- Manopiano (Lyrics, composition)
- Lucky Aura (Composition)
- Lalala-Sososo (Composition)
- Otome no Inori (Composition)
- Mizuiro Omoi (Composition)
- Hajimete no Keiken (Composition)
- Nakimushi Yowamushi (Composition)
- Sekai wa Summer Party (Composition)
- Jasmine Tea (Composition)
- Kumamonmon (Lyrics, composition, arrangement)
Shinsaku Doyou PopsEdit
- ↑ http://www.kimurakan.com/history/19691975.php
- ↑ http://www.kimurakan.com/history/19751978.php
- ↑ http://www.kimurakan.com/history/19811982.php
- ↑ http://www.kimurakan.com/history/19831986.php
- ↑ http://www.kimurakan.com/history/19871989.php
- ↑ http://www.kimurakan.com/history/19901993.php
- ↑ http://www.kimurakan.com/history/19992001.php
- ↑ http://www.kimurakan.com/history/20022004.php
- ↑ "がんばろうニッポン 愛は勝つ" (in Japanese). UP-FRONT WORKS. Archived: 2014-09-03.